Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide June 2013

No i dont think they are supported, it has to be WDN4800, because it has a specific Atheros Chipset that is supported by OSX 10.8 out of the box.

I think its worth the money, i have the WDN4800 myself and it work flawlessly.

I have the Tp-Link TL-WN881ND, it works flawlessly (seen as an airport extreme) and is cheaper than WDN4800. You only need to edit the IO80211Family.kext, adding the device id pci168c,2e.

No i dont think they are supported, it has to be WDN4800, because it has a specific Atheros Chipset that is supported by OSX 10.8 out of the box.

I think its worth the money, i have the WDN4800 myself and it work flawlessly.

Here's a link to a card you can get that works perfectly OOB (I'm sure of this, because I bought one) for $20. It takes about 10 days to get to the US from Hong Kong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120778125846?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

- - - Updated - - -

I use a 240GB Sandisk Extreme in my hackintosh and also in my wife's MacBook Pro. According to Sandisk customer support (I asked them when I bought the drive), you should not enable TRIM because the firmware in the drive does garbage cleanup and maintains the drive. TRIM could potentially reduce your drive speed and life. Be sure to update the firmware to the latest rev when you get the drive. Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

Here's a link to a card you can get that works perfectly OOB (I'm sure of this, because I bought one) for $20. It takes about 10 days to get to the US from Hong Kong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120778125846?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info.

interesting to hear, sorry for my misleading and absolute comment, didnt know that there are other pcie wlan cards that dont need fiddling with kexts or hardware. maybe the card could be added to recommend list.

This guide is awesome. I'm using my machine I built from your advice to leave this comment. I'm also fortunate enough to live 10 minutes from a microcenter and the guys there are super helpful also.

Gigabyte z77x-udh5 (microcenter $145!!), 8 GB Vengence DDR3, (RAM, case and 128G Sandisk SSD i bought through amazon using guide links), another 500Gb seagate HDD, & i7-3770K (which i got at microcenter for $229 two months ago) and it purrs like a kitten running 10.8.4

The installation Guides which are easy to find are very helpful also. I had to make one deviation with the lan drivers installed with multibeast to get access to the app store/icloud since i use a wifi adapter (ASUS usb-N13 $24 at microcenter)

THANKS!!!!

I have a few quick questions about this buyer guide, especially the CPU section:

You do not recommend any Xeon CPUs for LGA1155 mainboards . I was thinking about intel Xeon E3-1270V2 for instance...

- What is the reason for that? Is it only due to the price?
- Are Xeon processors less good compared to i7 at comparable prices?
- Do Xeon processors have support/compatibility issues in customacs? I know there are issues with LGA2011 CPU/mainborads but I don't know if this also affects LGA1155 Xeon CPUs running on mainboards using C20x chipsets.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Best,
-J-

i love the monthly updates but is it possible to highlight the changes compared to each month. i look at each months posts and gets old reading the same thing unless there is something new highlights that would make it easier to just see what has changed from previous month

followed the build guide for the custo mac pro...please help me with this build, first time builder, looking for the cheapest option and anywhere i can cut corners on this build...

I7 3770 or I5 3570K....not sure yet
Gigabyte GA-Z77X
Corsair 8GB Ram
Corsair 500R case
Corsair tx 650M power supply
1TB Seagate Barracuda HD
TP-LINK Wifi Card TL-WDN4800

so i'd like to know....
1. can i go with a smaller case, even if i add a video card in the future??
2. can I go with a smaller power supply??
3. what about adding a card reader and optical drive here??
4. does bluetooth work on the motherboard??
5. does the motherboard board have firewire expansion??

I am running a recording studio at home as well as using this for audio production. most important things to me are usb/firewire connectivity, transfers and storage....not so much graphics, i may add a video card later...thanks alot, great work here guys

Newegg is saying the both mATX boards you have listed - the GA-B75M-D3P and GA-Q77M-D2H - have been discontinued. Could you please update the buyer's guide with an alternative mATX board that is still available? Thanks.

Hello customac,

In the next time, i will be prepare to buy a quadro card that can be used on my customac, can anyone help me to choose the best card for me, i want to use it in customac and windows (how about K500 ):)

lovelly Customac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back