Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious to see the results of the GTX 550 Ti as to whether or not it's going to be a real issue. It looks like the price is right for my needs. The next best card is nearly double the price. :-S

DSDT free, not SSDT free. Also note that the HD3000 graphics seems to be glitchy in combination with a Z77 board and OS X.

Good to note! Gives me an excuse to upgrade to a Core i7 3770K. >:)

Thanks so much for releasing this! I'm very relieved to see that the parts I ordered and should be receiving today match well with the recommendations. A couple of quick questions: Is there any reason why the i7-3770S was left off the list? Has anyone tested the Wifi on the UP5 TH?

Thanks so much for releasing this! I'm very relieved to see that the parts I ordered and should be receiving today match well with the recommendations. A couple of quick questions: Is there any reason why the i7-3770S was left off the list? Has anyone tested the Wifi on the UP5 TH?

No, no real reason, we might just add it.
The Wi-Fi doesn't work as of right now, but apparently there are people trying to get it working, so maybe, just maybe...
Or you could swap out the mini PCI Express Wi-Fi card for something that works as per http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/58146-guide-airport-half-mini-pcie.html

Hi thelostswede :)

Is there a difference between the recommended Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P and Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H?

I mention this because i only find on sale D3H at this moment in Spain.

I have seen on Gigabyte's website that comes with Display Port and more sata 6G.
But have any relevant difference with D3H for hackintosh?

Thanks.

Apparently you need to edit a couple of files to make it work, I haven't really looked into it, but people have gotten it working, so it's a minor thing.

Well stability is a MAJOR factor for me since this thing will be a home server. And fancy graphics aren't important, but reliable video is very important because it'll be used for Lightroom. Right now that's only for hobby, but soon it'll be professionally. If I can prove that this will help my wife with her photography, then I won't have to pay for the whole thing out of my own spending money (which I recently depleted on a 27" LED Cinema Display).

@tony:
I regocnized that you recommend the Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P for the cheapest Customacbuild but actually this mainboard isnt available in Germany (for example). Iam using the Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H, can you tell me the difference between this two boards?

I would like to point out that my Z77-DS3H that worked 100% with Lion and a i5 2500K simply does not work with Mountain Lion and Chimera. Kernel Panics on start up no matter what combination you run with MB.

I know there must be lots of you in my same boat as it was an early recommendation by tonymac that made me buy this combo.

I'm hoping we can get an updated MB to fix the strings causing total failure for us. For the time being please look here if you find yourself with the same issues. We are formulating a way to make it work!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...77-ds3h-perfect-until-mb-chimera-install.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back