boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: GPT
boot0: error

The Actual Problem:
With disk drives getting larger and larger manufacturers have had to change the default block size from 512 bytes to 4,096 bytes. These new drives are known as "Advanced Format" or 4K drives. Initially this was only seen on drives larger than 1 TB but will soon be on all drives. As part of this change there is an issue with OS X writing the boot helper code to these drives when booted from the drive. Because of this they require a workaround to boot on their own.

Solution 1: Use UniBeast
Pros: Easy- OS X Only
Cons: Requires use of the Terminal and UniBeast drive.

How To Do it:
1. Install using UniBeast
2. Boot new installation using UniBeast created USB.
3. Run MultiBeast and install as normal
4. Reboot system back into OS X installer.
5. Run Disk Utility and unmount the drive you installed OS X on. Right click on the volume and select Unmount.
6. Launch Terminal and execute the following command:

Code:
dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

7. Exit Terminal
8. Reboot Normally

NOTE: The above instructions are based on OS X being installed to a hard drive connected to SATA port 0. If you are using a different port you will need to get the drive device name from Disk Utility by selecting the volume and clicking Info.

Solution 2: Use a SATA > USB Adapter
Pros: Easy- OS X Only
Cons: Need an additional functional Mac or Hack.

How To Do it:
1. Install using UniBeast using System 1.
2. After installation, shut down, unplug the SATA drive from System 1, and plug into System 2 via USB
3. Boot System 2
4. Run MultiBeast, targeting System 1's drive
5. Unplug the System 1 drive, plug back into System 1, and boot without any issues.

ref=dp_image_0.jpeg
SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable
with AC Power Adapter for 2.5 / 3.5 Inch Hard Drive / Optical Drive

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OORMVQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8
[amazon-uk]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001OORMVQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8[/amazon-uk]

An extremely useful extra for any custom build. Hook a hard drive up to another working system via USB. Also use to convert a internal optical drive into an external USB optical drive.

Attachments

• boot0.jpg
    boot0.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 129,558
  • ref=dp_image_0.jpeg
    ref=dp_image_0.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 128,545
Last edited by a moderator:
thanks trying it now

Article: boot0 Error: The Official Guide

please video :(

what do you mean with unmount the disk

After the unmount, the /Volumes doesn't exist anymore. The dd command won't work. I got an error saying no such file or dir.
If I don't unmount the volume, dd gives me a resource busy error. Please help.

After the unmount, the /Volumes doesn't exist anymore. The dd command won't work. I got an error saying no such file or dir.
If I don't unmount the volume, dd gives me a resource busy error. Please help.

Hmm, me too. Tried several times, Unhappy face.

Hmm, me too. Tried several times, Unhappy face.

just try the other method, boot into a working system then run multibeast set the target drive to your "boot0 error" drive that is connected via usb, after installation connect back to your system... works like magic.

just try the other method, boot into a working system then run multibeast set the target drive to your "boot0 error" drive that is connected via usb, after installation connect back to your system... works like magic.

You know somewhere it says read everything before posting....Im going to start doing that, I saw a load of data connectors on the second method and just freaked out, with an old external caddy..job done. Also the major thing for me was resetting the power patch thingy. Thank you stevesod...I like you.

One thing to try first if you can is boot the system with unibeast then use multibeast to install/reinstall the boot loader to the target drive. I had this error happen on a couple of lion installs after cloning a backup version of 10.7.4 back to my regular launch drive after making changes that didn't work out. Installed boot loader, rebooted like normal.

Just a note about Mountain Lion, I'm not able to get this to work on a GA-Z77X with a Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. I get the awful Mac Multilingual restart screen. Gonna just buy a smaller drive and startup from that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back