Contribute
Register

BitterMelon's "Chip" build: GA-Z77N-WIFI - i5-3570K - HD 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GA-H77N-WIFI - i5-3570K - HD5450 - Bitfenix prodigy, 8GB (UK Based)

Similar experience to everybody else here, wifi card i took out, use own bluetooth USB nano adapter (not useable for bios), gfx card only needed kext edit to add its id in, i'm still using graphics enabler=yes but am going to try it as =N when i've done a backup. The hackintosh boots real fast as set time on chimera to 1s and no logo, almost immediately on power up shows the apple boot screen, love it. USB confirmed as follows:- usb 3 does not like any of my usb thumb drives, so reverted the ports to usb2 which is all i have devices for anyway. Have a Logitech C270 webcam - FaceTime, iphoto all work without doing anything.

Tried multibooting windows but cannot get the windows disk to show up in chimera, i think its to do with how the drive is seen by the motherboard as it can be set to "BIOS" access or i think its called efi, decided though it wasnt worth it as have loads of pc's and this was built to be a dedicated MAC after all, Im best pleased, just need a bluetooth adapter now that works to go into bios screen (any fully tested recommendation from anyone), and of course i want to reinstate wifi at some point.

Tried multibooting windows but cannot get the windows disk to show up in chimera, i think its to do with how the drive is seen by the motherboard as it can be set to "BIOS" access or i think its called efi, decided though it wasnt worth it as have loads of pc's and this was built to be a dedicated MAC after all, Im best pleased,
Curious. Mine showed up right away when I plugged the OS X drive back in after installing Windows.

just need a bluetooth adapter now that works to go into bios screen (any fully tested recommendation from anyone)
Yeah, I'm going to need one too. Seems like the trick is to find one that supports HID Proxy.

has anyone got the inbuilt apple dvd player to work yet, i get an error message saying it quit unexpectedly, which is different from another motherboard i experimented with prior to building this one with the h77, the old one used the same dvd drive and graphics card yet gave a different error which was -70012 iirc.

if tried graphics enables=yes and =no, both give same error, and actually both ways i still get full gfx support.

PS I love this board its ace!!

UPDATE:- SORTED DVD PLAYER, thought i had fully working graphics with qe/ci, turns out there is something else to check first which i wasn't aware,
That is graphics card FRAMEBUFFER, when i fixed that it all works.....

Have you already tried to get autosleep working with darkwake=10?

Have you already tried to get autosleep working with darkwake=10?
Yeah, doesn't seem to work. However, I checked pmset and I think this means that it won't autosleep, regardless?
Code:
$ pmset -g assertions2012-10-08 18:25:45 CEST 
Assertion status system-wide:
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     1
   ExternalMedia                  1
   DisableLowPowerBatteryWarnings 0
   UserIsActive                   0
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   BackgroundTask                 1

Listed by owning process:
  pid 27(powerd): [0x000000090000012c] 00:03:54 ExternalMedia named: "com.apple.powermanagement.externalmediamounted" 
  pid 233(coreaudiod): [0x0000000100000170] 00:02:59 NoIdleSleepAssertion named: "com.apple.audio.'AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,2,1,2:0'.noidlesleep" 
  pid 344(helpd): [0x0000000c00000173] 00:02:23 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.helpd.sdmbuilding" 

Kernel Assertions: 0x0004 
 * Kernel Assertion ID = 500
   Created At = 2012-10-08 18:21:42 CEST 
   Modified At = 2012-10-08 18:26:27 CEST 
   Owner ID = 0xffffff801189f000
   Level = 255
   Assertions Set = None (4)

* Kernel Assertion ID = 501
   Created At = 2012-10-08 18:21:44 CEST 
   Modified At = 2012-10-08 18:26:27 CEST 
   Owner ID = 0xffffff80118ac000
   Level = 255

* Kernel Assertion ID = 502
   Created At = 2012-10-08 18:22:42 CEST 
   Modified At = 2012-10-08 18:38:11 CEST 
   Owner ID = 0xffffff80d139b000
   Level = 255

Hi BitterMelon,

Nice build! Very tidy.

I recently put together my first self-build. It's very similar (same case/mobo/processor/RAM but no heat sync upgrade or gfx card). I was wondering why you decided to use the Lnx2mac's realtek driver? I selected the Realtek Gigabit ethernet one but have not even tested the ethernet ports yet (had the Atheros 9280 from day one*), but I have been having some trouble with the order OSX assigns en0,en1,en2 to the three network devices. This causes problems signing into iMessage, iCloud, etc. I wonder if changing to the driver you used will solve this?

Also, what is your opinion on your cooling system? It certainly looks the part! Why else did you go for it over the H60/80?

*I highly recommend this wifi card. Duel band, completely native and very inexpensive on eBay.

For others in the thread aswell: Bluetooth-wise I'm going to try the solution here as I'm trying to do everything as natively as possible and this, being an apple module, shouldn't have problems with sleep/wake/trackpads. I'll report when I receive all the parts I need.

I'm jealous.

I got my White Prodigy & the H77 version on the 3rd. Unfortunately Amazon changed my 2 day Prime delivery to Standard Shipping and I'm still waiting on my i7-3770 and 16 GB of memory. Should be here by the 10th. The wait has been excruciating. :)

My primary use will be similar to yours. Mainly a "Steam Box" but also an HTPC. The case has living room looks even if it's much bigger than most HTPCs.

Did you have any trouble installing the PSU? I had planned on putting a 160mm modular in there but I wasn't comfortable mashing it all in. Ended up putting in an older OCZ Stealthstream 700 watt only because it was smaller.

My cooling options are limited because I plan on putting my Samsung BluRay player inside. It's worked fine in my main hack.

I also plan on moving the GTX 670 from my main hack over to this one and putting my old 6870 back in the main.

Great build and thanks for the tips. They'll come in handy when I'm finally able to put mine all together. Any day now...

I was wondering why you decided to use the Lnx2mac's realtek driver? I selected the Realtek Gigabit ethernet one but have not even tested the ethernet ports yet (had the Atheros 9280 from day one*), but I have been having some trouble with the order OSX assigns en0,en1,en2 to the three network devices. This causes problems signing into iMessage, iCloud, etc. I wonder if changing to the driver you used will solve this?
I think I saw it in a Youtube video actually. The guy went "the Realtek drivers are really buggy, so I'll just go with Lnx2mac's driver". So I did too. ;) I don't know if it will help you, but it should be worth a try I think.

Also, what is your opinion on your cooling system? It certainly looks the part! Why else did you go for it over the H60/80?
I really like it. It doesn't really seem to have to work hard to cool the machine. I ran a torture test (Prime95) for a while and it topped out at about 65°C. No complaints there! The reason I went for the Antec 620 over the H60 was partly because it was 20% cheaper, and partly because I didn't like the plastic hoses on the Corsair. The rubber hoses on the Antec just feel nicer. The H80 is much more expensive, almost twice that of the 620, and almost on par with the H100. Brand-wise it's all the same, most of these cooling kits are made by the same company (or one of two) and then just rebranded. My pump seems identical to that of the H70, as well as the Thermaltake Water 2.0 series.

I got my White Prodigy & the H77 version on the 3rd. Unfortunately Amazon changed my 2 day Prime delivery to Standard Shipping and I'm still waiting on my i7-3770 and 16 GB of memory. Should be here by the 10th. The wait has been excruciating.
I feel your pain. I actually gave up on 16 GB RAM for just 8 GB just to get it all earlier. ;)

Did you have any trouble installing the PSU? I had planned on putting a 160mm modular in there but I wasn't comfortable mashing it all in. Ended up putting in an older OCZ Stealthstream 700 watt only because it was smaller.
No real problems. Just plan it out before you jam it in there. Figure out what cables go which way and thread them through the correct holes as you move the PSU in. Also, try to "pre bend" them as close to the PSU as possible, this will help you get the last few millimeters. No real violence needed, just a firm hand and some screw tightening.

My cooling options are limited because I plan on putting my Samsung BluRay player inside. It's worked fine in my main hack.
I wouldn't have a problem installing on in my build, there is room for it. The 5.25" tray is still in there too. I just don't need it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back