Contribute
Register

ASUS Vivobook S200 / X202

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASUS Vivobook S200 / X202 (Is it good?)

@wildgeeza

I had a similar dilemma, and ended up going for the i3. To be honest, I am VERY glad I did. Even with the i3, it feels a little underpowered, but still usable.
(Note this is a 8 reference, I haven't done OSX yet, too busy).

It is still a VERY nice machine though, so very usable, and give it six months and I'll pop a SSD in there to give it a helping hand, but obviously, after that, you are out of upgrade space (fixed RAM), so just consider pushing that budget another 10-20% and getting the i3....

I have a feeling this is going to be one of my favourite machines for quite a few years..

I've tried to install mountain lion, by booting from clover usb, but, even though i plugged in the unibeast usb drive, the "lion icon" doesn't appear.

Why?

My laptop model is the one with i3 cpu, i've installed windows 8 on a new ssd... and secure boot is disabled from the bios.

Where's the problem?

Hi guys, I've got the s400 and managed to install OSX 10.8.2 only using safe boot
I still get kernal panics when trying to boot into it.

If you guys got any ideas please let me know

Hi!
Some days ago i notice of Asus Vivobook S200 (or X202 in USA, it's the same)
i3, touchscreen 11,6", $499 or €499, unibody alluminium, good price,

hi guys & mccoy88f

i searched the ASUS site and cannot find confirmation that S200E or X202E are actually the same.
do we have link for this? we have the X202E in the philippines and retails PHP24500 cash basis on the stores.
very interested to buy it, choices i have are the Lenovo G470 and HP probooks 4230s.

i think X202E will be a better choice but need to know if the both models are actually the same.

harry325 said:
++Note: Everytime you boot into Windows 8, make sure you shut down the laptop before booting using Clover, otherwise mouse (touch pad) is not usable

do you mean to say trackpad works on OSX as well?
you also mentioned trackpad acts as a mouse only, so i cannot expect multi-touch right? only as a pointer it will work.

please advise. thanks in advance.

I believe you need the i3 version.
As I know currently hackintosh only works with HD3000/HD4000.
I think the B987 comes with HD2000 or something like that. So it won't work.

Thanks for all the feedback and previous suggestions. The i3 would be nice to have, but I think I might risk it, as the price factor is a bigger point for me at the mo. I'd be happy with Windows 8, and "trying" this as an added nicety.

It's looking like the B987 comes with HD3000. http://vk-tech.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/asus-vivobook-x202e-ct006h-touch.html

If / when I manage to get one and give this all a whirl, I'll post my results up here. I'll also keep an eye out, in case anyone else tries it before me.

Is there likely to be a "sticky" with the full instructions technique anywhere?

Thanks for all the feedback and previous suggestions. The i3 would be nice to have, but I think I might risk it, as the price factor is a bigger point for me at the mo. I'd be happy with Windows 8, and "trying" this as an added nicety.

It's looking like the B987 comes with HD3000. http://vk-tech.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/asus-vivobook-x202e-ct006h-touch.html

If / when I manage to get one and give this all a whirl, I'll post my results up here. I'll also keep an eye out, in case anyone else tries it before me.

Is there likely to be a "sticky" with the full instructions technique anywhere?

It is probably a mistake on the spec. sheet. Most (if not all) Pentiums are "HD Graphics". Spec sheet for Pentium 987 (non-B) shows "Intel HD Graphics" I didn't see a spec sheet for B987 at ark.intel yet, but all the other 900 series are "Intel HD Graphics"

hi guys:

anyone else able to duplicate harry's work?
i am still betting on two other mobile devices - the hp 4230s and the lenovo G470.
and another issue/problem for me with X202E is that i have to change the wifi device inside which will be tedious for me for sure, being my first time to open a laptop.
i have considered X202E/S200 largely. i would be happy to have someone post harry's work live via tutorial.

anyone here also can point me to a possibly similar method of installing a wifi card, whose construction will be similar to X202 or S200?

Alright guys!
I can confirm this guide will work on the Asus S400 as well the only issue so far is not having sound working and wifi obviously.
Except what I did was installed OSX on the 500HDD first then install win8 to the 24SSD drive which gives me a nice set up,
I've triple booted OSX Win8 and Ubuntu and I'm loving this laptop right now, all we need is touch screen drivers for OSX and we're set

Awesome guide Harry! I ordered one and am going to try this on Mon. I have a couple questions that I hope you can answer.

Where did you see the $200 driver for the touchscreen? I tried out this laptop and bestbuy and the touchscreen was pretty cool. I might consider it....
Do the brightness controls work? On my hackintosh Toshiba I have no sleep, and no brightness controls on it.
Lastly, I'm considering doing just a osx install (only 64gb ssd) I think I can figure it out from your guide, but any thing you think I might need to watch out for?

Thanks man! Appreciate the help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back