Contribute
Register

ASUS K53E Laptop Sandy Bridge Lion 10.7 Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: Multibeast works well. I have the SB GPU working, USB works.

Trackpad does NOT work. I don't know how to fix this. The trackpad enabler thing in Multibeast did nothing. Help!

Also, trying to install The VoodooHDA from Multibeast results in a KP on startup. Reformatting and reinstalling fixed this, but needless to say sound still doesn't work. Help again!

Going to work on the wifi.

It wasn't easy, but it wasn't all that hard either.
Computer: ASUS K53E-BD4DT, i5-2430m, HD 3000, 4GB RAM
BIOS: K53E.214 (NO DSDTs)

Day1
-Computer OOB had 2 Partitions, 1 Primary, 1 Data,Logical... almost exactly the right proportion I wanted. Deleted the logical partition, left it unallocated for Lion.
-usb stick not recognizing! restart computer 5 times until it does...
-Installed with Unibeast and MBR patch on the other partition all on a trusty USB stick.
-After install, ran update + multi beast, restart. Infinite hang up... no KP, no Screen.
-Found out about how amazing 'rBoot 1.0.1 LE' is, let me boot with USB and keyboard. Finally I'm in.
-Began installing kexts. Kernel Panics everywhere. Tired. Bedtime.

Day2
-Finding better kexts, removing conflicting kexts. No more Kernel Panics.
-VoodooBattery works. Impressed. True Portability!
-Trackpad works as mouse; not recognized as a trackpad (no multitouch, maybe annoying sensitivity). But, no more USB Mouse necessary!
-Took rBoot's similar strings and replaced with the boot.plist and smbios.plist from the Preboot.dmg. Finally independent from CD Boot, and yes, 64-Bit!!

Day3
-After several VoodooHDA and KPs, This one gets sound, but crackles badly. Still need to get working.
-Getting more kexts: Ethernet, wifi... Can contact people from the outside world at my fingertips.

This was a EASYBEAST install, no DSDTs (yet).

I'm not going to go though everything I got working, but I'm gonna say what Partially and totally doesn't work.

Partially Working:
-Audio - Sound crackles, Mic Feedback.
-WIFI - G routers work, N routers don't... no internet. Anyone got any ideas?
-Trackpad - no multitouch, recognized as mouse in preferences, not trackpad.
-Webcam - Recognized, but not functioning in Photobooth.
-USB - fails half of the time on booting up. Kinda a bummer.

Not Working:
-Speedstep - ? Don't know where to begin.
-Sleep/Resume - Same with this one.

Not tried yet:
-HDMI Audio - Video works like a charm, but haven't tested sound (voodooHDA!!!)
-VGA - I'll try it later.

Overall, I'm impressed with how much is working in only 3 days. With what works, it totally works as a mainly functioning mac laptop. The things that don't work can be worked around. I'm typing this to you guys at my buddy's house on his wifi, away from my AC plug and 4 hours battery. Sounds pretty sweet to me... I hope I can make more progress to help you guys out over the next couple weeks.

Here are some kexts that helped me out that didn't screw up my comp more or caused KPs. Hope at least something helps!

Attachments

• noteskexts.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 203
Just follow the steps in the Unibeast install guide, and have rBoot LE handy. That's really all I did for installation process. For Post-install, check the zip file of a couple kexts that definitely worked for me.

UPDATE:
Audio FIXED! Was using an older cut of voodoohda 0.2.1. Deleted it, along with applehda.kext and fix/repaired permissions. Then installed voodoohda 2.7.2 on multi beast and restarted. Then, BOOM! no more KP's from audioauuc or applehda. (Don't use the kext from my zip file, use Multibeast)

Turn input Gain to 0 in the voodoohda.kext plist so the mic loopback doesn't feedback (which means no onboard mic? haven't tested yet). And sound is good, no crackling!

Sound may still crackle from loud sources, enable SSE2 in voodoohda prefpane. Fixed that problem for me. You have to do this every time you restart. There is an automatic SSE2 enabler tool around here on the forums.

Hope this helps

Webcam WORKS in Photo Booth with an assisted app called CamTwist.

It was recognizing, but no picture was coming out. Now it works as long as cam twist runs.

Certain Fn Keys work as well:
Fn + F2 = Turn on/off WiFi
Fn + F5 = Brightness Down
Fn + F6 = Brightness Up
Fn + F7 = Display on/off

the other ones either don't work or I'm reluctant to try from other peoples experiences.

This is great. when I get the time probably tonight I'm going to give this another shot.

If you could give a step by step of what you did after installing that would be SUPER helpful. :)

This driver for trackpad that doesn't work with voodoo ps2.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qua62zbr2lp2j5r
It works as if in windows 7. Two fingers scrooling, two fingers click(middle click) and three fingers click(right click). And there is no prefpane in system settings. By the way my machine different model of sandy bridge asus laptop.

fyodor said:
This driver for trackpad that doesn't work with voodoo ps2.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qua62zbr2lp2j5r
It works as if in windows 7. Two fingers scrooling, two fingers click(middle click) and three fingers click(right click). And there is no prefpane in system settings. By the way my machine different model of sandy bridge asus laptop.

Thanks for posting this! Unfortunately I'm still not getting multitouch. But I am getting one or 2 more settings in the mouse pane (guessing because its a lion next as opposed to a slow leopard kext I was using) and a new "ink" pane, so there is a little progress at least. I guess we have slightly different hardware...

They say to add the dev id to the kexts. I'm just confused on how to add the device id to the appleps2trackpad.kext or acpips2nub.kext plist. Anyone know?

just go buy the laptop! :)

What is and what isn't working has been said several times on this thread already by different people.

the sole purpose of hackintoshing for me is making music, and I make music on this laptop. Logic Pro runs great on it. I've already made a couple tunes on it.

Video works just fine, including HDMI. Video games run good on it (for intel hd 3000)

WIFI works, but WiFi N with WPA2 security on routers may be an issue to get working with the kexts floating around on the internet. The Trackpad multi-touch supposedly works, but I haven't gotten it to work. And audio works but if you are serious about music making, you are probably going to use a USB audio interface so that doesn't matter...

Everything that you mentioned if it doesn't work (which they at least partially do) can be worked around with USB adapters (wifi adapter, mouse, audio interface, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back