Contribute
Register

ASUS G73JH keyboard backlighting... WORKING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to completely disable trackpad on laptop with ML 10.8.2 install

Any of the driver, code gurus want to have an attempt at maybe getting this working? I know it would make a lot of us G73 and other laptop users very happy as a lot are frustrated with the non working keyboard lights.

I see there is even a ACPI daemon with full C project in one of those links. It appears almast all the code is there, even the python code which should almost work natively with mac os. Although I have no clue if it is possible to call ACPI from say a normal App or if it has to be done low level in a kext. Tbh. I don't care at all if I have to permanently run a little bit of code to get it working every time I boot.

Silly stupid ubuntu forums.. It seems i have to make 25 posts before I can even download attachments from the forums... Lol.. How is someone supposed get help from a forum put up to help people if you can't even get it.. LOL..

Any of the driver, code gurus want to have an attempt at maybe getting this working? I know it would make a lot of us G73 and other laptop users very happy as a lot are frustrated with the non working keyboard lights.

I see there is even a ACPI daemon with full C project in one of those links. It appears almast all the code is there, even the python code which should almost work natively with mac os. Although I have no clue if it is possible to call ACPI from say a normal App or if it has to be done low level in a kext. Tbh. I don't care at all if I have to permanently run a little bit of code to get it working every time I boot.

Silly stupid ubuntu forums.. It seems i have to make 25 posts before I can even download attachments from the forums... Lol.. How is someone supposed get help from a forum put up to help people if you can't even get it.. LOL..

I believe ACPI calls must be made from a kext. But you have all the information you need to make a go at it. No need to download anything more.

I would attempt it but I don't have the hardware to test...

Yeh like I said a few times I don't have the knowledge/skills to get this going. Ah well.. I'll put a lamp next to my laptop.

Digging further it appears a project like this was already started back in 2010 for lion or SL but unfortunately he just quit the asushotkey project he was working on. Seems it hasn't been picked up since..

Dug through the Asushotkey kext yesterday and found that this unfinished project more or less should be able to get things working. Having no luck at it tho although Fn keys for volume and screen brightness now do work.

For the life of me I cannot get the original asushotkey project compiled in xcode.

Could anyone with more adecate skills please try to see if they can get the asus hotkey project attached below to compile? I figure once I have a working xcode project it would be a little easier to go forward.

View attachment AsushotKey220310.zip

RehabMan,

Here is the dsdt.aml file from my system.

I will install your Voodoo kb debug version next as I temporarily removed it because it was causing unwanted behaviour (seemed my screen brightness controls weren't working anymore with it).

Btw that unwanted behaviour (screen brightness Fn keys not working anymore) seems to have dissapeared so it was something else..

As of now.. in mac osx. Volume FN control keys work, screen brightness works.. Screen on/off works.. The Fn-F2 does toggle the wifi led indicator but doesn't actually turn it on/off.

I see scancodes appearing in the log.. However none of the Fn+F1/F12 keys seem to procedure a result in the log....

However the keys should be: Keyboard backlight brightness down: Fn+F3, brightness up: Fn+F4

There is also an toggle key at the top left on my laptop (oustide the kepboard, where the left most is the all on, off, etc.. toggle). When I press it.. the light on those keys turns off and the light under my display also goes off.

Edit:>>

I've been going through a few software utilities under Win7 and have been unable to get any output as far as scancodes go on the Fn-Function keys. It is as if they don't exist.

The Keyboard backlight had 3 distinct brightness levels going from off-1-2-3 tho. The outside keyboard lights toggle switch goes from all-on/lightbar off/all off.

Oh and on the subject of touchpad.. It appears my bios actually has an option to totally disable the touchpad.

View attachment DSDT.aml.zip

RehabMan,

Here is the dsdt.aml file from my system.

I will install your Voodoo kb debug version next as I temporarily removed it because it was causing unwanted behaviour (seemed my screen brightness controls weren't working anymore with it).

Btw that unwanted behaviour (screen brightness Fn keys not working anymore) seems to have dissapeared so it was something else..

As of now.. in mac osx. Volume FN control keys work, screen brightness works.. Screen on/off works.. The Fn-F2 does toggle the wifi led indicator but doesn't actually turn it on/off.

I see scancodes appearing in the log.. However none of the Fn+F1/F12 keys seem to procedure a result in the log....

However the keys should be: Keyboard backlight brightness down: Fn+F3, brightness up: Fn+F4

There is also an toggle key at the top left on my laptop (oustide the kepboard, where the left most is the all on, off, etc.. toggle). When I press it.. the light on those keys turns off and the light under my display also goes off.

Edit:>>

I've been going through a few software utilities under Win7 and have been unable to get any output as far as scancodes go on the Fn-Function keys. It is as if they don't exist.

The Keyboard backlight had 3 distinct brightness levels going from off-1-2-3 tho. The outside keyboard lights toggle switch goes from all-on/lightbar off/all off.

Oh and on the subject of touchpad.. It appears my bios actually has an option to totally disable the touchpad.

View attachment 43754

I'll take a look at it when I get a chance. But you'll need to find a a couple of keys use to invoke the function that generate a scan code. Your Fn+keys are handled differently, not sure how... such that they are not handled as real keys (instead in some other way) (?). Perhaps getting your Fn keys working better is something for later. Let me know the scan codes you find appropriate.

And yes, need to know exactly how many levels you see on Windows to correlate it with the scripts and DSDT code. From DSDT code, looks like there are 4 distinct levels, and one of them is off (see PWKB table with the 4 values in it: 0x00, 0x55, 0xAA, 0xFF). So from that I would expect off and 3-levels for on. I can see also from the code that to set SLKB must be invoked with bit 7 Arg0 set (otherwise it turns light off, but still stores last set value [weird]). And GLKB must be called with Arg0=2 to get current level.

Yeh like i mentioned.. There are 3 levels aside from the off position.

But I really have no idea anymore how to get any scancodes. I didn't get them from Win7 and Mac OS doesn't seem to produce them either. Personally I don't care what key is used for the backlights.. .Not sure how hard or how easy it would be to just assingn any other key and call some ACPI method that sets the brightness.

I know in Windows you have to install the ASUS ATK driver to make the Fn keys work.

It seems from what I read about MacOS FMC is used to also handle keyboard backlighting on native MacBooks that support it. They even have auto-illumination control in the system preferences.

Yeh like i mentioned.. There are 3 levels aside from the off position.

But I really have no idea anymore how to get any scancodes. I didn't get them from Win7 and Mac OS doesn't seem to produce them either. Personally I don't care what key is used for the backlights.. .Not sure how hard or how easy it would be to just assingn any other key and call some ACPI method that sets the brightness.

Just find a key you are willing to dedicate, and that's what I'll use. I don't care what key it is as long as it generates something visible to my keyboard driver. Sounds like something funny is happening with your Fn-keys, so I don't want to mess with them -- I'm writing them off for now, but it would be good to know if your ACPI methods will work on Mac, so we just need to bind a key to some code which invokes them.

I know in Windows you have to install the ASUS ATK driver to make the Fn keys work.

It seems from what I read about MacOS FMC is used to also handle keyboard backlighting on native MacBooks that support it. They even have auto-illumination control in the system preferences.

Yeah, I've seen the sysprefs thing on real Macs, but I don't think you need that, just a key to manipulate the backlight.
You provide me the scan code you want, and I'll code up a test version...

Cool..

How does ctrl-alt numpad +

and ctrl-alt-numpad - sound ?

Although I don't know if it would interfere with Mac since alt is the option key or whatever it is called.

Feel free to use any keys that you want for testing purposes... I'm getting a lot of output in the console windows from just pressing 1 key, let alone ctrl-alt-numpad keys.. Not sure which ones you need.

In any case I've attached 2 screenshots with the output on the console from pressing those keys. Hope it helps.

And thanks for taking the time to try to get this working :)

View attachment screenshots.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back