Contribute
Register

Apple IR USB Header

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hilbe said:
zionic said:
Is the purpose of this to use it with an apple remote? Sorry if I'm completely stupid.

Otherwise, this is awesome. Gonna have to add it to mine maybe! ;)

Yes. This is the Apple IR, so your Hackintosh will use the Apple remotes like a champ (no 3rd party software required). Plug-n-play FTW.

When I build a Hack Mini for my HTPC, I will definitely be making another one.

Awesome! Just added to my "to buy" list. Can I ask why you had to splice wires? Doesn't the IR board come with a USB header on it? I'm surprised it didn't.

zionic said:
Hilbe said:
zionic said:
Is the purpose of this to use it with an apple remote? Sorry if I'm completely stupid.

Otherwise, this is awesome. Gonna have to add it to mine maybe! ;)

Yes. This is the Apple IR, so your Hackintosh will use the Apple remotes like a champ (no 3rd party software required). Plug-n-play FTW.

When I build a Hack Mini for my HTPC, I will definitely be making another one.

Awesome! Just added to my "to buy" list. Can I ask why you had to splice wires? Doesn't the IR board come with a USB header on it? I'm surprised it didn't.

If you look at the eBay picture for the IR receiver, you can see it is some other micro connector. Maybe there is some adapter out there to make it into a USB header, but I made my own easily.

Hilbe said:
zionic said:

If you look at the eBay picture for the IR receiver, you can see it is some other micro connector. Maybe there is some adapter out there to make it into a USB header, but I made my own easily.

I must have missed the picture. I'm sorry! Hahaha. I was too interested on how you do it. :p Thanks for answering my questions. I will definitely be referring to this when I order mine.

Important Note:

The pictures don't clearly indicate that the IR receiver and its attached cable are very small. You will need a long USB header cable to make it reach your motherboard. The eBay auction I posted for the USB header cable is something like 18 inches long. This was barely enough for me to get it where I wanted it. People with larger cases and more bends/turns of the cable may have issues with it reaching...

With that said, you probably could find a USB header cable and splice another USB cable in the middle as an extender. Example: USB header cable -> splice ... USB cable with ends cut off ... splice -> Apple IR.

Does this mod allow wake from sleep with remote?

Here's another IR project which was referenced on the Plex forum for about the same cost. Article says it's comparable with the Harmony remotes as well the Apple remotes.

Stork said:
Here's another IR project which was referenced on the Plex forum for about the same cost. Article says it's comparable with the Harmony remotes as well the Apple remotes.

Used that as a reference for mine, but he made an external connecting full USB IR receiver. Uses the same IR sensor part, just has a USB end on it. You can do either, I just figured most Hackintosh users who are building a HTPC would want it cleaner/internal.

I sent him a msg a few days ago thanking him for the assistance and send him the URL to this thread :)

Hilbe said:
...Used that as a reference for mine...
Good. Great minds think alike. :thumbup:

I kinda like the external sensor for an HTPC application. The external allows you to hide the box unless you use an HTPC audio rack like case (looks like an AVR or other audio component) some of which have built in IR receiver capability one can mod.

I'm starting to plan for such a (HTPC) beast to replace my late 2009 Mini (2.26GHz). The problem is the Mini works so well. :D

After the untimely demise of 2 Macbooks last week, I've been giving thought to this sort of project myself, as I now have 2 Macbook IR pieces. However, I've got the Rev A Macbook (Core Duo early 2006), and the board is a little different.

PDRM0002.JPG

PDRM0005.JPG

The power LED and the IR are combined, with a 4-pin ribbon attachment. This was originally attached to the SATA HDD connector as well.

Does anyone have any knowledge or advice on whether this would be a workable project? I figure I could connect the ribbon into the SATA HDD connector if I could figure out the pinout on its wires, but if I can't do that I'd probably have to resort to soldering, something I have no experience with...

*Shrug* - anyone have any comments?

Attachments

• PDRM0002.JPG
    PDRM0002.JPG
    500.2 KB · Views: 1,077
  • PDRM0005.JPG
    PDRM0005.JPG
    517.9 KB · Views: 995
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back