Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI (ITX)
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
R9 380X
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I plan to buy this great card as soon as it hit the shelves. According to several rumors, Apple will implement Polaris 10 & 11 in several models of their future line-up.

I plan to use the card mainly for rendering but occasional gaming.

Are you interested in the 480 card? When do you deem the card will be hackintosh compatible assuming the rumors are true and Apple does implement them in their computers at one point or another?

Roundup about the card: >5 teraflops of power at under 150W TDP; $199 for 4GB version, $229 8 GB version.

Since this is the first time I make a post in this section I hope I dont break any rules by starting such a speculative thread as it is.

The odds are pretty good that Apple includes Polaris drivers in OS X soon, since it's a obvious choice for their upcoming Mac lineup.

However, we also know that the classic MacPro is dead, so they won't care a lot about support for Desktop class GPUs. Just have a look into the Radeon thread for their latest GPUs. Neither GCN 1.1 nor GCN 1.2 is supported well.
It's partly because of Hackintosh-related issues (power management), but also partly because of bad drivers & missing framebuffer personalities.

I can't look into the future, but I'd predict similar support as R9 380[X] currently have.

Besides that, I'm also extremely interested in this card, it's going to fulfil my needs for the next years for just ~200$. I'll definitely have an eye on it.

I'm definitely interested, and I have a perfectly working (for my needs) R9 290 OC.

Things that make me interested in switching despite not much extra (or any) computer oomph:

1. Low power/TDP.
2. Modern outputs, meaning 4K60 off HDMI for my TV
3. Hopefully better multi-monitor support*
4. More VRAM is a good for gaming-- better for compute!
5. Very small cost of upgrading depending on where I buy/sell.

In the putting-the-damper-on-things column:

1. WCCFTECH is not a reliable source for rumors, so don't take those performance numbers as fact. Or even good rumors.
2. Not a single review is out yet. We really know very little about true performance and OC.
3. Everything Fl0rian said. *Might be worse than what I have already in a Hackintosh.
4. Netkas has found evidence of some Polaris support in Sierra, but AFAIK drivers for P11 and only framebuffer for P10; it's super early days, so who knows.

But yes, I'm excited, and potentially very, very interested.

Yep, according to netkas they've added initial Polaris Support, but no full Support for P10 yet. I guess we'll have to wait for new Hardware. I'm pretty sure that the upcoming iMacs will receive the RX 480 as high end Version. I wouldn't expect them before autumn though.

I placed my order today... paid a premium of $300

My card will arrive next week... (sapphire reference card)

hope it will support my hackintosh

What kind of performance increase can you expect in applications such as Avid/Premiere, Davinci Resolve, After Effects, Fusion?

Going from the integrated HD 530 that is.

And cscheat, you sure you placed an order for an actual RX 480? It is not supposed to be available until June 29th.

When Polaris gets macOS Sierra support, will we be able to extract it and patch it in El Capitan or do we have to upgrade to Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back