Contribute
Register

Advanced build for photo editing (I mean no pro or expert needs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi there,

I’m on my way for my first Hackintosh… A bit scared… o_O Cause I have never mounted any PC before and a serious lack of knowledge in hardware. But newbie like me are lucky to benefit of community support ! ;)
OSX addicted ! Apple’s prohibitive prices intolerant… That’s the reason why I’m following this way! Few months ago, I did'nt even know that Hackintosh existed…

I need advices to select my components or at least to know which components I need for my usages.

This build is going to be my main computer. I can still count on an old 2007 Macbook Core 2 Duo… But it starts suffering…

I’m looking for a reactive, reliable and upgradable build for photo editing. I don't want cheap specs but I don't deserve high end build for professionnals.
I use Lightroom (raw files) but I plan to move to Affinity softs (Designer and Photo) cause it’s affordable plus it looks powerful and intuitive.
I will probably edit some video when I will change my old Nikon D90. But it will remain a secondary usage.
I don’t play games.

I want a compact built that fits Cooltek UMX3 case. Buy the way, I’m looking for a mATX mobo. Cause Gigabyte looks more hackintosh friendly I have selected Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H. If you have other mATX mobo suggestions I’m listening! :) I need to get 4 slots for RAM. I gonna start with 2 x 8 Go and uprgrade latter if necessary to 32 Go.
Do I need graphic card for my needs? If so, Could you recommend me a decent one that works pretty much out of the box? Could you explain me why applied to photo editing needs ?

About the CPU… I was looking for i5 4690 cause it seems to be good value for money. But someone told me that I have better to go with i7 4790 and even better i7 4790 K if I use Adobe’s softwares. This last K serie is kinda expensive...

Right now, I don’t need 4k specs cause I gonna buy one of this two displays : Dell UltraSharp 25 U2515H or Dell UltraSharp 25 UP2516D. Both have 2 560 x 1 440 display at 60 Hz. If you recommend me a graphic card : is it better to choose one with DisplayPort or HDMI is enough ?

Thanks you so much for your time !
PS : Pardon me if my english is not clean...

I don't want cheap specs but I don't deserve high end build for professionnals.

Hehe. You deserve it, I'm sure! I think you mean to say you don't require a high-end build.

The i7-4790 integrated graphics are decent for photo work, with a single display of up to 4k resolution, or with two lower res displays.

Put your money into RAM, initially. That is what will really help you, especially on big RAW files. Then later on get a graphics card as an upgrade. About CPU: the speed difference with the K version is not too big a factor, unless you overclock. Then, it starts to become a noticeable increase in speed, depending on how well you cool it and how high you can get the clock.

Hey Kylec,
Yes I mean it would be like throwing my money trough the windows !
I feel better since I know I can start with Intel integrated graphics! It will be easier to set up the Hack!
Overclocking sounds a bit frightening for a newbie... I'm not sure to try this adventure one day! So I'm still hesistating between i7 4790K and i7 4790 :think: but I have a preference for the K one. I've eliminated i5 4690.
I'm going to increase the RAM from 16 to 32 Go.
Now, after weeks reading all kind of hackintosh forums, I think it's time to act and to order soon ! Just few details to solve !
Thank you so much for your advice !!

You're quite welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back