Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RehabMan, firstly thanks for your many excellent guides and repositories.

I recently added a Lenovo X1 4k monitor to my GTX760 powered iMac13,2 Hackintosh. It's detected without any EDID injection and defaults to the retina 1920x1080 resolution. All good. However, I noticed that in the monitor settings under 'Scaled' that the resolutions are listed instead of showing the scaling icons. Interestingly the native panel resolution is also not included in the list, with the highest selectable resolution (without using the ALT/Option trick) being 3200x1800.
It's not a big deal, but curious why a) the native resolution is not listed, and b) why El Capitan is not showing the scaling icons as it would on a MBP or retina iMac.

BTW, I followed this guide to create an override plist using the URL in this thread (defaults to a Dell monitor but includes all the 4k resolutions and edited for the X1 ID's) and verified it was being used, but it made no difference, despite defining the 4k panel resolution.

Any ideas?

What is the native resolution?
What resolutions did you add to the plist?

What is the native resolution?
What resolutions did you add to the plist?

Native resolution is 3840x2160 and the resolutions added were the defaults from comsysto.github.io, (9 in total) which includes the native res, 1920x1080, and other variations, all entered as follows <00000a00 000005a0 00000001 00200000>

Native resolution is 3840x2160 and the resolutions added were the defaults from comsysto.github.io, (9 in total) which includes the native res, 1920x1080, and other variations, all entered as follows <00000a00 000005a0 00000001 00200000>

Keep in mind for each HiDPI you want, you need to also add one that is double it.
Adding other resolutions that you don't need/don't want is a mistake.

I was using comsysto.github.io for created file and paste it to /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-*/DisplayProductID-* but it doesn't work. Please check my screenshots:

91c9d3bf14fd43bd896f29bed4062f9c.png

Then
06e4009035a946059dadae437a0c53e0.png

Then
6517874ab60546ba962d646c3d050c5b.png

cd8f4dbba2964e8bab5919ade22fd582.png

Last edited:
It looks like this tool not working properly. I also tried to generate file for my laptop and it doesn't work.

I was using comsysto.github.io for created file and paste it to /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-*/DisplayProductID-* but it doesn't work.

You cannot use Finder to install system files.

You cannot use Finder to install system files.

That mean I must disable SIP via Recovery Mode then run
sudo cp ~/Downloads/DisplayProductID-*.plist /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-*/DisplayProductID-* ?

I was disabled SIP and try run

sudo cp ~/Downloads/DisplayProductID-*.plist /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-*/DisplayProductID-*

Still nothing changes, don't have hidpi custom resolutions in RDM :(

Last edited:
I was disabled SIP and try run

sudo cp ~/Downloads/DisplayProductID-*.plist /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-*/DisplayProductID-*

Still nothing changes, don't have hidpi custom resolutions in RDM :(

Your 'cp' command is nonsense. The file must be copied to a specific directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back