i7 2600k
Graphics
GTX 260
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. iMac
I find I enjoy helping other OS X self builder's and enthusiasts with their systems after I've been helped many times myself by this very community. This is a "straight to the point" guide, not "how I did it guide".

HERE WE GO

This guide has no guarantee it will work for you as it did for me. Use this information at your own risk.

This all inclusive guide is targeted for helping others using UEFI booting of Windows 10 alongside their OS X using the Clover boot loader 'UEFI' option installed on the OS X partition through latest EL Captain Multi-beast version 8xx. If you're using Clover legacy boot settings this guide won't be for you . . . .

so again --->'Not For Legacy Booting' nor older motherboards that don't have ability for UEFI booting.

It is most important that your bios settings are all properly set for UEFI booting. tonymacx86 has plenty of members in this community that have already posted guides to explain how to properly set up your Bios for UEFI boot so I won't be spending any time explaining this.

THE PROBLEM:

You post installed CLOVER UEFI boot loader to your OS X partition, achieved booting OS X UEFI but Windows 10 you can't.

THE DESIRE:

You want the holy grail. The same ability to boot your Windows 10 from the Clover boot loader just like OS X.

HERE'S HOW:

Attached bottom of this post is a zip file containing the proper configured Windows 10 UEFI contents for adding to your Clover boot installation within your permanent OS X partition. Download the zip file and open it. Once zip file is opened reveals the main folder. Inside you'll discover 2 objects. #1 A folder labled 'Microsoft' and #2 a Windows BOOTX64-win.efi file. I'll explain later in steps #9 and #10 for exactly where to place these items. Once completed you should have no problem booting Windows 10 from your Clover boot loader UEFI installation equally without hiccup just like booting OS X from that same Clover UEFI installation.

This guide designed for simplicity of how to rather an explanation as to why.

1. Boot into Windows 10 directly by using keyboard hot key such as F8 or F12 (you likely require the bios boot settings being switched back to the legacy boot options 1st in order to do this.)

2. Once booted back into Windows 10. Open command window 'run as administrator'

3. enter command: bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi

4. You should then see a following message "Boot files successfully created". 1st step success!

5. Restart computer, enter bios & reset the bios legacy boot settings back to UEFI boot settings if need be.

6. Clover boot options should now be back. Now boot into OS X El Captain or your whatever OS X installation.

7. You now should see a Windows 10 drive and possibly a reserve drive mounted on the OS X desktop. Leave them there.

8. Using an EFI mounter like 'Clover configurator' mount OS X 'EFI' partition. Follow next 2 steps as specified.

9. Open the mounted 'EFI' drive/folder on the OS X desktop then simply drag the attached entire 'Microsoft' folder inside that 'EFI' folder. Don't mess with any contents within 'Microsoft' folder. It is configured to boot Windows 10 UEFI. Just drag the folder as specified.

For those who are still newbies learning your way around OS X and have attempted to mount your EFI drive/folder but do not see it mounted on your desktop try this:

A. Open Finder (smiley face square icon bottom of your desktop)
B. Now left click the actual word 'Finder' located at top left corner of your desktop for revealing a list of selactable options.
C. Select Preferences
D. Under 'show these items under desktop' make sure 'Hard Disks' is checked (EFI drive should now be seen mounted on desktop)

10. Now take BOOTX64-win.efi and drag that file into the 'BOOT' folder sitting inside underneath same 'EFI' folder. You now are completely done.

11. Other Points Need Mentioned to avoid mistakes. Underneath 'EFI' folder make sure you put nothing in the Apple or Clover folders. Leave them alone. The Microsoft folder should now be seen listed or being grouped among APPLE, BOOT & CLOVER folders under 'EFI' after you dragged it there. The only file you'll put within another folder is placing BOOTX64-win.efi inside that 'BOOT' folder sitting inside the "EFI' folder.

12. You can unmount Windows 10 or any mounted partitioner for that matter on the OS X desktop simply by right clicking then selecting 'eject' from the list.

13. Hopefully now a restart back into the Clover provide you booting options either OS X or Windows without problem.

I hope this simple explanation for multiboot of OS X and Windows works for you. God Bless.

Attachments

• WINDOWS UEFI.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 28,979
I read through your thread, and I'm still fairly new to building Hackintoshs. I would like to dual boot my machine with Windows 10, and currently I'm on OS X El Capitan. How would be the best way to install Windows 10 on the same drive? Do I want to use the Windows disc itself to install and use your .zip folder attached to then adapt it, or would I want to BootCamp, or...? Sorry if this is something I should have been able to find on my own. Thank you for your help in advance.

Hey grasshopper -------> SirFrancisBacon2nd

There have been many before myself whom already explained your good question in detail on several threads and youtube leaving me reluctant to muddy the waters explaining how I would do it. Here is pretty darn good youtube link I found if you haven't already accomplished solving your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfg1wSGgNXk

The purpose of my original post before your question is targeted for helping those for whatever reason after successfully installing both Windows and OS X either on the same hard drive or individual separate hard drives and are still having issue booting Windows from the Clover bootloader alongside their OS X installation.

I installed El Capitan on my Elitebook 8570w and it runs nicely. I added a second hard disk in the optical bay by caddy. The hard disk has a working Windows 10 UEFI install. Clover doesn't see it though. Would the above also apply to my laptop? I hate to break El Capitan. Currently I have Clover 3227.

I got the message mentioned in point 4 but after booting back in OS X I don't see the Windows folder on the desktop.

Does this method work if I have Windows in a completely different hard drive? In Clover Bootloader I see the Microsoft EFI but I cannot boot Windows if I select it.

Click on Finder, then at the top where it says Finder click on it for drop down menu, click Preferences, then check the box where it says Hard Drives under Show these Item on the Desktop: All Hard Drives connected to the PC will show on the desktop.​

Hope that is what your looking for.

Never mind. I need to work on my reading comprehension. The attached file in your post is what I was looking for :D

It worked but now when I select windows from the clover boot windows 10 gives a startup error about the installation needing to be repaired. Should I try to repair it or will that write over clover?

Thanks!

Never mind. I need to work on my reading comprehension. The attached file in your post is what I was looking for :D

It worked but now when I select windows from the clover boot windows 10 gives a startup error about the installation needing to be repaired. Should I try to repair it or will that write over clover?

Thanks!

I was getting something similar and once the Auto Repair started my PC lost the signal to the monitor. I was able to boot to Windows 10 if I changed the boot order with no problem.

If your Windows 10 is booting from a separate drive then try this:

"Now that you have completed installation of both OS X and Windows, boot to UEFI/BIOS and check your settings under the BIOS Features tab (in Legacy view):

Under Boot Option Priorities set
Boot Option #1 = UEFI OS X drive
Boot Option #2 = UEFI Windows drive
Boot option 3 & 4 = any other boot drives - optical drive Linux distro drive, etc.

Intel Virtualization Technology -> Enabled
Then disable the TXT, VT-d options, The Dynamic Storage can be enabled or not - your choice

Windows 8 Features -> set to Windows 8 WHQL if that is an option

CSM Support - I would try first with it disabled. If that does not work, try with it set to Always, then set boot mode to UEFI only
If that does not work set boot mode to UEFI and Legacy."

This is the reply I received from the Moderator Going Bald. It worked for me!
:headbang:
If you need more info do a search on the forums on "Adding Windows". You should find the thread where the Moderator guided me. Good luck!

I followed the original post exactly but I still could not get Clover to boot Windows 10. I have a bunch of NTFS drives show up on Clover bootloader screen but trying to boot any of them has not been successful. I tried "Boot windows EFI" and it just brings me to a black screen with flashing underscore. "Boot windows boot manager EFI" and it brings me to some sort of Windows error page, like disc repair or something. For now I can only boot Windows 10 by pressing F12 on boot.

Windows 8 Features -> set to Windows 8 WHQL if that is an option

CSM Support - I would try first with it disabled. If that does not work, try with it set to Always, then set boot mode to UEFI only
If that does not work set boot mode to UEFI and Legacy."
This method somehow made my system not able to access the BIOS and I had to do a CMOS reset.

PS: motherboard is Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, OSX and Windows on separate SSDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back