Contribute
Register

A couple of questions for dualbooting, and a compatibility check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GoingBald,
I did not know that you could install without System Reserved by preformatting. Do you mean formatting the volume as NTFS before install? If so, would GParted do the job?
You can format it NTFS using any 3rd party disk management software, or use Disk Utility in OS X and format it MSDOS FAT, then format it NTFS with the Windows installer formatting tool.
How does Paragon 'optimize' an SSD?

Realigns the sectors. SSD and HDD sectors are not the same, especially older drives windows installed with a 63bit offset instead of newer installs of Windows with a 64bit offset. Migrating from a HDD to an SSD, it is really better to do a fresh install if you can. See http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid+state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

Finally time to buy. Your help and the rest of the page, has made me ready(and I finally got the money). I have changed the build a little, so got a couple more questions:
Updated build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
MOBO: GA-Z77X-UD5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB(2x8) DDR3 1600MHz Low profile
GPU: MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Overvoltage-N660TI-PE-2GD5/dp/B008SBX6GI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359395202&sr=8-1&keywords=MSI+N660Ti+PE+2GD5%2FOC
CASE: Corsair Carbide 400R
PSU: Corsair HX650
SSD's: 2x Crucial M4
HDD's: 2x Seagate Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD (For non SSD apps and files, one for each OS)
COOLER: Noctua NH-D14

The cooler can be used for socket 1155, but will it fit in the 400R with the GPU and ram if I get low profile?
Should I enable TRIM with the M4's? I can get Windows 8 free from my school, so I would like to use that. Do you see any possible problems with Win8? I have read some threads about issues with Win8, but maybe it would have been fixed.
Almost there aaargh can't wait

Going Bald where art thou? :D

Finally time to buy. Your help and the rest of the page, has made me ready(and I finally got the money). I have changed the build a little, so got a couple more questions:
Updated build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
MOBO: GA-Z77X-UD5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB(2x8) DDR3 1600MHz Low profile
GPU: MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Overvoltage-N660TI-PE-2GD5/dp/B008SBX6GI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359395202&sr=8-1&keywords=MSI+N660Ti+PE+2GD5%2FOC
CASE: Corsair Carbide 400R
PSU: Corsair HX650
SSD's: 2x Crucial M4
HDD's: 2x Seagate Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD (For non SSD apps and files, one for each OS)
COOLER: Noctua NH-D14

The cooler can be used for socket 1155, but will it fit in the 400R with the GPU and ram if I get low profile?
Should I enable TRIM with the M4's? I can get Windows 8 free from my school, so I would like to use that. Do you see any possible problems with Win8? I have read some threads about issues with Win8, but maybe it would have been fixed.
Almost there aaargh can't wait

:?:'s :?:'s so many questions:

Check the dimensions of the noctua and those of your case. Yes enable trim on the ssds. Win8 should be fine, if you don't like
metro ui just install classic shell to bypass it. Get going on that build, time is wasting :beachball: the beach ball keeps spinning around. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back