Contribute
Register

2010 iMac 27" - replace optical drive with slot fan to quietly lower temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77MX-D3H-TH
CPU
i5 3570K
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
I need to lower the temps of my 2010 iMac to stop 'smoky' smudge looking stain spreading across the right hand side of the screen. Besides which, I'm fed up of the fans ramping up when I use the iMac as a screen with my Hackintosh via target display mode, when watching movies or playing games under windows.

I thought about carefully marking off and drilling some holes near the top slot vent but it would spoil the clean lines. Then I thought, why not remove the largely redundant optical drive and put a slot fan there, instead, might it lower the heat enough that the other fans won't ramp up? I have tried blasting the back of the case with cold air but it only lowers the temps by a few degrees. I would need to widen the DVD slot a bit but it seems to me that could be done without fundamentally ruining the iMac's appearance. Would I be able to put the optical drive into some kind of caddy, I wonder, or get an adapter and psu for it off Amazon?

I hate opening up the iMac, though at least with the 2010 model it is comparatively easy to do so, if you're careful with the ribbon cables.

Any thoughts on my proposed mod, welcome.

Could you post a pic of the 'smoky smudge?' I worked on a friends mac that had a (I think) similar issue. It turns out it was just some dust or something coming from both corners. Try wiping off the glass on the inside.

Before you get to hacking, Try taking the whole thing apart and blowing the fans and heatsinks out. That should help a lot. These do build up quite a bit of dust over time.

Also, just try removing the drive all together and leave the cavity empty. Should help with airflow better.
I would add some foam blocks to direct the airflow to the heatsink more

Untitled-1.jpg

If you're still not satisfied, I would pick up some iMac fans off ebay, they're usually cheap and are OEM. Then, you can either tap into the hard drive cables for power (will run constant speed) or, splice into the other fan's power source. Hopefully daisy chaining it to another fan will still give you PWM control over it and enough power

These iMacs are pretty, if you really want to hack it, I would use a hole saw and cut a hole where the optical drive used to be and add in a 92-120mm fan.
Only issue with this is there isn't any airflow across the heatsink at the top.

Untitled-12.jpgUntitled-13.jpg

Really don't know if there's space in there for a standard fan. Maybe a Scythe slipstream 12mm thick fan could work. 25mm standard fan thickness might be too much

First step. Clean it out and remove the optical drive. That should help!

Thank you for your thoughts! Long post in response.

The smokey smudge stain, for want of a better way of describing it, isn't under the glass, unfortunately, I had tried that, it's within the panel itself. It's a not uncommon problem with the 2010 model and Apple, after initially blaming smokers, which I am not, blamed the panel manufacturer themselves.

I frequently vacuum all the vents and when I last had the iMac open to fit an SSD and replace the bass-rumbly Seagate hard drive with a larger capacity Seagate model (I believe Apple solved the bass-rumbly problem by changing the desktop hard drive for laptop models; I used soft silicone grommets, which helped but using the SSD as my boot drive significantly reduced the problem, I could use Disk Utility and unmount the drive, for that matter), there was no visible dust on or around any of the fans.

I fitted the SSD where OCZ and others advise, beneath the optical drive. Temperatures before and after weren't significantly different, so I went with it. A possible plan is to remove the 2TB replacement hard drive and put an SSD there, along with the current SSD. Or else I could do what Apple apparently did with the eventual and long overdue recall of 2010 iMacs and replace the hard drive with a laptop hard drive; I resisted doing that because I am used to service agents putting dings and scratches in the facia of whatever they are time-pressured to repair. Plus, I trained as an AV tech and, apart from being careful with the ribbon cables, one of which was glued down which wasn't mentioned in the ifixit disassembly tutorial (my one anxious 'why isn't this ribbon cable coming out?' moment) everything was surprisingly easy.

I thought I would perhaps take power from the un-needed optical drive for a slot fan; I wouldn't mind if it was always on, as long as it's quiet, or I could fit a tiny switch along the bottom of the iMac. I had thought of having an eSata out but have no use for eSata. Other things I have thought of doing with this model. As far as I know, the pcie socket containing the airport card, can't be used for a USB 3.0 card but I'm a little out of date with that one. I seemed to be one of the very few people asking and didn't want to be one of the first to try. Ultimately, when the next generation of NUC models come out with Skylake M chips with Iris Pro graphics in late 2016/or possibly early 2017, I would like to gut the iMac and replace the internals with that, if those NUC models aren't horrendously expensive. It should be much cooler running. On the other hand, I would have to find a way to have target display mode work, so I can use the monitor with my Hackintosh. That is the main use.

I think I am stuck with the screen stain. People who have tried to carefully prize the two halves of the panel apart and clean it have sometimes found they could remove some dust, others have been frustrated to find that the stain was permanent, while others found when they reassembled, the panel no longer worked. Those who have tried advised me not to. The stain is annoying while on a white or grey background, particularly if I have a finder window open in that area for a long time; the stain retains a faint white ghost of that Finder window, specifically the folder icons and text, which vanishes if I bleach it out with a fully white screen for a while. I can just about live with it, though it does make re-sale impossible, unless I source a replacement panel, which I would do if it was an opportunity to upgrade, though that would present additional problems. It doesn't bother me when gaming. What does bother me is how loud the iMac is as a screen when gaming from the Hackintosh. Widening the optical drives slot won't be fun. I might just carefully drill out some holes, there, and try and make them look as meant as possible. I don't usually look at the iMac, side on. Whereas people who enlarge the slot at the top back, even done neatly, it stands out like a sore thumb that Ives would have had nothing to do with.

Thanks for your thoughts. It's frustrating not being able to find other people who have done this. I thought it would be the most elegant solution, especially the number of people I found who complained that heat was damaging the screen (vertical lines) and likely reducing the life expectancy of the components. My temps have always been at the upper end of what was deemed acceptable by Apple. I used a fan control app but that defeated the purpose of having an iMac, the relative silence. Plus, it seems unachievable when gaming via the external Mackintosh, when gaming under Windows 10.

Further thought to it. I should have looked at the pictures that I took but looking at yours - thanks for posting them -putting a slot fan in the space could partially block off the existing fan below it. I need to think this through. I need to find an airflow chart for that model. I had wondered if replacing the existing hard drive with a 2.5" Seagate model - which I believe Apple did in their recall of 2010 iMac rumble-noisy-Seagate 3.5" models - would improve airflow. I imagine Apple have the airflow highly optimised for the internals as they are and that replacing the 3.5" with a 2.5" might effect how the air is channelled; I am aware that adding or removing things could effect the various temperature sensors.

I get the impression that the presence of the optical drive, whether it is wired in or not, is necessary to properly duct the air. At the moment, I am thinking of adding an even and carefully drilled line of holes below the vent slot. On Youtube there is a video of someone who used a CNC machine to drill-saw that slot and make it about five times wider than it is. He saw quite a significant drop in temperatures.

Another thought is that I would make a shroud to fit over that slot and within that shroud have an extractor fan pulling air up and out. If that worked, assuming I could make it somehow look...aesthetically pleasing... I think said fan would be far less noisy that the iMac's fans when the iMac is running under load. I will experiment with making said shroud/fan, first. Cutting holes would need a great deal of care and stripping the iMac's shell bare.

Getting back to the above video, I notice that his CNC drill drilled not just through the back of the iMac, but through the internal shroud/duct, also, where I think I would want to drill only through the iMac's outer shell, while keeping that internal shroud/duct in tact. See pic below of my still iMac's intact shroud/grill. I would perhaps snip away the grill in that shroud, to allow more air to pass up through it, though again I think the problem is in large part the narrowness of that model iMac's vent slot and that widening it, or carefully drilling a line of perfectly spaced holes (that don't puncture the shroud) that don't interfere with any of the electronics/wires (it would be nice to know for certain I'm not drilling through any electronics, though as far as I can see from the CNC video of the stripped down shell, he hasn't), might end up being the answer, for me.
imac vent.png

Last edited:
Making a shroud that looks good, keeping to the clean lines minimalism and high quality materials Apple ethos. Hmm, let's think this through.

I notice that a lot of Mac Accessories/covers are made from bamboo.

How about a bamboo pipe, with concealed fans at either end? The pipe would have a slot that runs along most of its length, a slot that lines up with the vent slot at the back of the iMac.

Problems:-

The pipe would need to be of a fairly narrow diameter, or it would stand out like a sore thumb.

How would it be held on, without defacing/drilling into the iMac?

There would be a trailing mains wire for the fans.

A small-ish gauge pipe, if the fans are to be concealed within the pipe, would require small fans, which are generally audible and the pipe would possibly amplify them.

Solutions:-

The pipe could be held on with industrial strength Velcro, which I already have.

Spin the fans slowly enough that they will be all-but inaudible

Line the pipe with felt to dampen high frequency fan noise

Conceal the fans mains cable by carefully routing it through the iMac's vent slot.

Questions:-

Does anyone know of good quality (relatively quiet) very small fans? Presumably Apple themselves use/have used small and quiet fans in past designs, that are available to buy from Apple spares stores?

Does anyone know if I can draw power for the fans from the iMac itself without inducing strain/instability, or would I be looking at using one of the power bricks that I have from failed appliances?

Any thoughts welcome.

Tiny fans in a tube, I can't see it working, it would just be noisy, so I am working on a less pretty proof of concept. You can see a mock up of it, here, that I made in Gimp. The angle that you see the fan at is just to show you the fan, in the finished version the fan and its mount would lie flat against the iMac's stand. What you are seeing in my picture is just a piece of plastic pipe, along which I will cut a slot (or melt a slot with patience and soldering iron (outdoors... preferably on a windy day...with a mask on) to sit over the iMac's slot. The overly large fan that I have spare will be mounted into a cut down plastic bottle. The top of the bottle will enter the pipe, hot glued in place. The pipe will need end caps but they won't be visible from the outside. Both bottle and tube will be felt-lined to... to reduce the vacuum cleaner tube howl that I otherwise anticipate! Hopefully I can spin the fan slowly enough that it will be very quiet. As I say, what you see here is not how it will look; the fan/bottle will hopefully lie flush against the iMac's stand. I hope to find a way to attach to the iMac with industrial strength sticky-back velcro. If the proof of concept works well, I would move onto bamboo, or similar, almost certainly a smaller fan. If the whole thing looks... not so great, the project seems less worthwhile. Thoughts - even laughs, winces or sniggers - welcome. :)

iVent alpha proof of concept.png

Some more thought is needed. With the vent slot being so high up on the back of the iMac, if I cut a slot in the pipe and butt that slot up against the iMac's slot, the top of the pipe would be visible when you face the iMac, which for me is a no-go. I need to make a custom strip of wood with a slot along it and a slight curve to interface flush with the slight curve at the top-back of the iMac and the curve of the pipe. To make that, I would need a CNC router or... more patience than makes the project quick and easy, which was the aim. More thinking to do.

Revision one. Cut the pipe in... not half but cut away a third. This dispenses with cutting a slot in the pipe and means the open end of the resulting C-shape can rest above and below the iMac's vent slot, though to avoid the top of the pipe peeking over the top of the iMac when the iMac is viewed front on, the C-shape will need manipulating with heat to change its shape. Or is there something ready-made on a store's shelf somewhere for some other purpose, that I can repurpose? I want this makable without requiring too many tools/a heat gun (or oven?).
iVent alpha proof of concept 2.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back