Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AsRock X570M Pro4
CPU
Ryzen 3700x
Graphics
RX 580
I've just purchased a G4 cube in pristine condition for my next build. It's been interesting reading how various forum members have accomplished their final results, many excellent ideas put forth.

In addition to the challenge and fun, the intent is to have it as close to original as possible for presentation as a true retro machine in my home office. The unit is as pictured below (I still have to go pick it up). Probably paid too much for it, but I've been looking for one like this for a while now, so jumped on it right away.

cubenk.jpg

I've already purchased an Apple ACD to DVI adapter on Craigslist so I can run the Studio Display plugged into the new mITX board. I realize that the 15" Studio is only 1024x768 res, but is flawless as purchased. I want to retain the look and feel of the Acrylic display to match the cube as it was originally, maybe will upgrade to a 20" Acrylic Cinema later, who knows. The adapter will be good to have, regardless.

A couple of questions about the hardware purchase side.

1. I'm deciding between the DH61AG and the DQ77KB. I'm leaning toward the H61 because of the DVI-D port. In all honesty I won't ever be using anything other than a DVI connect, because of the use of original ADC connected display hardware through my DVI adapter. I've seen that the DQ77KB ships with a DVI-D adapter, but wouldn't that hang to low under the cube to get a DVI cable plugged into? Maybe someone who has tried this can answer. I also realize that the DQ77KB is newer and more feature-rich, but I really don't need the added functionality. Unless someone can provide me with a compelling reason to move my preference away from the DH61AG, I'll likely buy it based on my projected requirements for this cube build.

2. I'm going to try to use the touch switch, I've read MiniHack's tutorial about wiring it. What would we ever do without members like him??? Question is this, do both the DQ77KB and DH61AG have a 5v Standby pin to power the touch switch? I'm almost certain that the H61 does. It'd be so much easier just to jumper a pin than solder anything for power. Please advise.

3. Does the mITX form factor line up with any of the 8 standoff holes in a mATX? Or are they totally different? I have one of LaserHives acrylic trays here and am toying with the idea of somehow incorporating it into this cube build. Maybe I'm way off base with this thinking, I've never even seen a cube up close.

Thats it for now, but when this project begins in a week or so, I'm sure there will be more questions.

Regards,

Ersterhernd

I own both motherboards. The DH61AG is in my G4 Cube with a i3-2125 and 8GB of 1333Mhz memory. The system is stable and runs a 64 bit Geekbench of about 7700. You can find my build here in this section. This system is HD 3000.

The DQ77KB is also good. I am using an i3-3225 with 16GB of 1600MHz memory and the 64 bit Geekbench is about 8250. I am using the mSATA for the boot drive and while it is only SATAII speed, the system boots quickly. To run two displays concurrently, I use a DP to HDMI adapter out to a HDTV at 1900x1200x32 and a HDMI to DVI adapter also at 1900x1200x32 using HD 4000. The problem here is the DP and HDMI port are adjacent and HDMI to DVI adapter blocks the DP unless you cable out from the IO panel.

I do think if you have not committed, I would recommend the DQ77KB just for the HD 4000 video.

neil

And this posting is from the G4 Cube hack which is current with all updates at 10.8.2.

1. I'm deciding between the DH61AG and the DQ77KB. I'm leaning toward the H61 because of the DVI-D port. In all honesty I won't ever be using anything other than a DVI connect, because of the use of original ADC connected display hardware through my DVI adapter. I've seen that the DQ77KB ships with a DVI-D adapter, but wouldn't that hang to low under the cube to get a DVI cable plugged into? Maybe someone who has tried this can answer. I also realize that the DQ77KB is newer and more feature-rich, but I really don't need the added functionality. Unless someone can provide me with a compelling reason to move my preference away from the DH61AG, I'll likely buy it based on my projected requirements for this cube build.
I have the DQ77KB. RE The adapter hanging low, I would recommend a separate cable that has HDMI on one end and DVI on the other, then the adapter is not needed.

Also remember that the DH61AG has the sandy-bridge generation of chipset, which does work with ivy-bridge processors, but needs a patch (multi-beast) to get full OSX support. The DQ77KB has the native ivy-bridge chipset, so If you plan to use an ivy-bridge processor then the DQ77KB has OOTB compatibility.

2. I'm going to try to use the touch switch, I've read MiniHack's tutorial about wiring it. What would we ever do without members like him??? Question is this, do both the DQ77KB and DH61AG have a 5v Standby pin to power the touch switch? I'm almost certain that the H61 does. It'd be so much easier just to jumper a pin than solder anything for power. Please advise.
The DQ77KB absolutely has 5v standby power available on a header on the MB

And to correct Neil (sorry Neil) HD4000 is a function of certain Ivy Bridge CPU's not of the motherboard itself, but I agree with the sentiment HD4000 was a significant upgrade over HD3000 (sandy bridge)

Thx Neil.

I see that the two Geek scores are nearly identical. I also just read that there are issues in OSX with running the 3225 in an H61. Do you know if there is a DSDT edit out there that allows a smooth installation of OSX with this combo?

Also, how much clearance is there underneath the cube with the HDMI ---> DVI adapter in place? Enough to plug in a DVI cable?

I'm converting to ADC also, as I will be using the 15" Studio with this. I'm not sure if HDMI ---> DVI ---> ADC is going to pose a prob or not... hmmmmm. Perhaps forgoing the newer HD4000 setup in favor of the 2125/H61 combo that you're running is the safe bet?

I really appreciate your advice.

Yes, I should not assume that everyone understands the problems of mixing 2nd and third generation CPUs and motherboards. It is much cleaner all around the keep them in lock step.

And on the DQ77KB the standby 5 volt power is on pin 9 of the Custom Solutions header. Also, I recommend that you read SJ_UnderWater's thread relating to this motherboard and patching the BIOS.

neil

Hi Kiwi, your post just came in as I was typing to Neil.

Thats a good idea about the HDMI to DVI cable rather than adapter. That would eliminate any potential height problems (if they in fact exist at all, damn I wish I had my cube here already).

As I responded to Neil, my concern is the 3-way conversion HDMI to DVI to ADC. The H61 board would knock this back to a straight ADC to DVI convert to the port on the board.

I'm leery about OSX compatibility with the Sandy board with an Ivy CPU. I'd rather just make the decision to go all Sandy or all Ivy. One or the other.

NCIX has stock of all the parts. Just have to make the right decision. As stated in my first post, this is gonna be a retro computer where the look and feel are more important than the performance.

I have a HDMI to DVI cable. There is not enough space under the cube to plug in the delivered adapter. The dq77kb has a 3.3v & a 5v sb pin on its custom solution header.

I would reconnect the dq77kb.

MacTester

Thx for that info Mactester.

I agree that the ivy board is the better bet. Gonna test the ADC to Dvi to HDMi connection on my other system before I decide.

I've really enjoyed your cube build, btw!

Regards

Hi Kiwi,

Thats a good idea about the HDMI to DVI cable rather than adapter. That would eliminate any potential height problems (if they in fact exist at all, damn I wish I had my cube here already).

As I responded to Neil, my concern is the 3-way conversion HDMI to DVI to ADC. The H61 board would knock this back to a straight ADC to DVI convert to the port on the board.
The HDMI to DVI conversion should not be any concern. HDMI and DVI are largely the same from a video perspective.

HDMI was designed to be backward compatible with DVI, they took DVI and made it TV friendly, adding useful things like sound, and another feature called CEC (separate topic), but basically the video signal is the the same.

An HDMI to DVI converter just connects the pins from one connector to another, it doesn't convert anything. So really your problem is converting DVI/HDMI -> ADC, a single conversion. I dont know about the ADC

Kiwi

That's good to know, thx kiwi.

A simple HDMi extender M/F would do the trick then, as there's an HDMi to Dvi converter in the box of the DQ77KB.

Maybe time to order, hmmmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back