Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 1.17.46 PM.png
Microsoft's not the only one pushing out a major update today. Canonical pushed out Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander. Get your copy free- lots of nice updates in this one.

Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 1.17.55 PM.jpg
http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Chimera works well multibooting OSX with Win and Ubuntu.

I'm loving the name "Saucy Salamander" :D

Thank you for the heads up! I am amused at the name, also. Their naming conventions are rarely boring! Since an improved beta driver for my AMD/ATI HD 7870 Tahiti, I use Ubuntu 13.04, with a Lion/Mountain lion theme, almost as much as I use Mountain Lion. With 13.10, I am curious to try Mint, also, and whatever other spinoffs. I am often puzzled why people who don't play games and don't have need for certain proprietary programs and apps don't just install Ubuntu, or at least use it to boot into when they are having temporary problems with their OS X setup. Under most conventional setups it is so easy and quick to install, all the most used apps come preinstalled and it's fun to configure/theme in tribute to a certain other operating system that we know and love!

I upgraded, firstly uninstalling the AMD drivers and returning Ubuntu to its out-of-the-box state, as is recommended. Unfortunately the upgrade left me with a black screen at boot. I had backed up all of my data before upgrading, so I used it as an excuse to do a clean install. I installed grub to a grub bios partition but still the active partition changes, so I had to change my booting order in the motherboard's bios to take me back to booting from Clover. The native Ubuntu AMD driver is still hopeless with my 7870 Tahiti; I had to boot up with Intel HD graphics to then instal the AMD beta Catalyst driver. It worked but things were still not as smooth as under Ubuntu 13.04, which I think I will go back to, meantime. Upgrading to the latest and greatest is fun but sometimes I think it pays to wait, with any new operating system, until the community help/forums are flush rather than sparse with useful help experiences. Under 13.10, I didn't see much in the way of improvements/new features. If it's a stability release, I wasn't having stability issues under 13.04 that i was aware of. Install of 13.10 was very fast, even just installing to an old hard drive. If you have a graphics card that is known to work well and a spare hard drive, give it a go! It's not OS X but it's familiar/intuitive enough and the free app store is vast with well developed apps. :)

installed and running verry nice alternate os
i hate windows,its so good i put it on my office (work)pc (an older p4 machine)

here is an easy way to get the latest nvidia driver for ubuntu 13.10
go to terminal(in root)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-331
when done reboot....:D

works good and OpenGL nice…
running on my h55 build,may also put it on my other one to replace pcbsd install
it was a chore to get gnome3 to work on bsd(i have a build script for that mess),but works nice..
i always liked the ubuntu builds very easy for the novice installer..
mint is also easy i believe its ubunto based as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back