• AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Support in OS X 10.8.3


    120
    Published on 03-20-2013 11:13 AM by
    http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/50175-radeon.jpg.html
    Well, the OS X 10.8.3 update is finally out, and the big news is the diverse new graphics support. Apple's added drivers for some AMD Radeon HD 7xxx graphics cards to OS X. There are a few tricks required for enabling these cards, so we're not recommending them officially yet.
    OS X 10.8.3 devices supported:
    AMD Radeon HD 7750, 7770, 7870, 7950, 7970

    How to Boot using AMD Radeon HD 7xxx:
    The AMD Radeon HD 7xxx must be the secondary graphics device in your system in order to boot using Chimera/Chameleon without a boot error and gibberish text. This is because of the larger video BIOS size. You can work around this by having a second AMD PCIe card in your system, or if using a motherboard with integrated graphics, set it to display first. The primary graphics device will handle the boot portion, and allow the system to boot perfectly with full graphics acceleration.

    For current Gigabyte motherboards with AMI UEFI, set these two settings for dual graphics.

    Init Display First: IGFX
    Internal Graphics: Disabled (OS X will recognize fully)


    You can use GraphicsEnabler=Yes, use default GUID partition format, and everything should work.

    For Gigabyte motherboards with Award BIOS, set these two settings.

    Init Display First: Onboard
    Onboard VGA: Always Enable

    You may have to use GraphicsEnabler=No in order to access the desktop successfully.

    Please don't view this post as buying advice. AMD Radeon HD 7xxx support is experimental and may or may not ever be fully supported by the tools and operating system. If you have one of these devices, add your test results here. Have fun!

    Related:

    OS X 10.8.3 Update
    10.8.3 AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Testing Thread
    10.8.3 AMD Radeon HD 7870 Screenshots
    List of Confirmed Radeon HD 7xxx Series (10.8.3+)
    Comments 120 Comments
    1. Fab1Man's Avatar
      Fab1Man -
      As long as it shows 7xxx it doesn't support full acceleration. DSDT injection with the sleep trick is one way, or using a hybrid EFI vBIOS with the Clover UEFI bootloader.
    1. tonymacx86's Avatar
      tonymacx86 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Fab1Man View Post
      As long as it shows 7xxx it doesn't support full acceleration. DSDT injection with the sleep trick is one way, or using a hybrid EFI vBIOS with the Clover UEFI bootloader.
      I've benchmarked and confirmed it's working with full acceleration. Chimera doesn't have 7xxx GraphicsEnabler code- that's why you see the "7xxx" while using GraphicsEnabler=Yes. And the fact that there are no official Macs with 7xxx means that the drivers are injecting default values.
    1. WokieZeppelin's Avatar
      WokieZeppelin -
      The DVI-VGA adapter is working? I have a HD7770-DC-1GD5-V2 graphics card.
    1. Felix10R's Avatar
      Felix10R -
      Why can I see a working mouse cursor with a white background? The SleepEnabler Trick is not working for me. :( I have a HD 7770 graphics card on the AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional Mainboard but would be really happy if someone have a SleepEnabler.kext for my Mainboard or a working method without the SleepEnabler.kext. I have to add that I had deleted the kext for my internal Graphics, because otherwhise i got a KP

      Edit:
      These are the fixes for my problem:
      -latest Chameleon Bootloader
      -http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3766
    1. TheConnactic's Avatar
      TheConnactic -
      Felix, did you try using Clover UEFI?
    1. Felix10R's Avatar
      Felix10R -
      No I use the newest Chameleon, but what does Clover UEFI do instead of Chameleon or Chimera?
    1. Pr3fix's Avatar
      Pr3fix -
      "You can work around this by having a second AMD PCIe card in your system, or if using a motherboard with integrated graphics, set it to display first."

      does this mean the monitor must be plugged into the onboard GPU in order to work? Basically I have a Gigabyte UP5-TH with a 3770k/HD4000 IGPU, and an XFX 7950 in the PCI-E slot. I have triple monitors plugged into the 7950. I don't want any monitors plugged into the onboard, do I have to do that in order to make this guide work? Can't test right now as I'm in class.

      Thanks for any replies!
    1. tonymacx86's Avatar
      tonymacx86 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pr3fix View Post
      "You can work around this by having a second AMD PCIe card in your system, or if using a motherboard with integrated graphics, set it to display first."

      does this mean the monitor must be plugged into the onboard GPU in order to work? Basically I have a Gigabyte UP5-TH with a 3770k/HD4000 IGPU, and an XFX 7950 in the PCI-E slot. I have triple monitors plugged into the 7950. I don't want any monitors plugged into the onboard, do I have to do that in order to make this guide work? Can't test right now as I'm in class.

      Thanks for any replies!
      No, although I used 2 monitors, using this method you can boot "blind" into the os using just one monitor. When things come up, you should have full access to the AMD card.
    1. Felix10R's Avatar
      Felix10R -
      Is there any solution for my problem out yet without using Clover?

      "Why can I see a working mouse cursor with a white background? The SleepEnabler Trick is not working for me. :( I have a HD 7770 graphics card on the AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional Mainboard but would be really happy if someone have a SleepEnabler.kext for my Mainboard or a working method without the SleepEnabler.kext. I have to add that I had deleted the kext for my internal Graphics, because otherwhise i got a KP"

      Thanks for every solution or reply
    1. Pakalolo's Avatar
      Pakalolo -
      Great news for us and many thanks.
    1. Ritey's Avatar
      Ritey -
      You can work around this by having a second AMD PCIe card in your system, or if using a motherboard with integrated graphics, set it to display first. The primary graphics device will handle the boot portion, and allow the system to boot perfectly with full graphics acceleration.
      ----------------------------------------------------

      If booting with onboard graphics enabled in bios set to display first and the 7xxx plugged into mb pci slot, two monitors are NOT necessary. Correct?
    1. Ritey's Avatar
      Ritey -
      Quote Originally Posted by tonymacx86 View Post
      I've benchmarked and confirmed it's working with full acceleration. Chimera doesn't have 7xxx GraphicsEnabler code- that's why you see the "7xxx" while using GraphicsEnabler=Yes. And the fact that there are no official Macs with 7xxx means that the drivers are injecting default values.
      ---------------------------------------

      When you say 'the drivers are injecting default values,' you are referring to the 7xxx drivers built into 10.8.3.

      Correct?

      I've seen some versions of 7xxx kexts floating around the past two days. Are the built-in 7xxx drivers that come with 10.8.3 sufficient without trying to hunt and find 7xxx kext with who-knows-what in them?
    1. Faster4Run's Avatar
      Faster4Run -
      Since I got the news that OSX 10.8.3 beta included the device drver for HD7970 earlier Dec 2012, I decided to buy ASUS HD7970-DC2-3GD5 on the X'mas special price. After that, I was put me on the seat
      of "just waited for public release", it was for alomst 3.5 months. But, I am highly dispappointed "still my HX480 board is require though HD7970 device driver was leased " -- because of hard to support HD7970 for the primary dsiplay adapter on the hacintosh 10.8.3 level among related middlewares.

      So, should I buy GTX650 board or HD6970 board in order to have the best cost performance on the primary graphic board that lead the second board ( HD7970) succesfully ?
      Pls advice me.
    1. TheConnactic's Avatar
      TheConnactic -
      OFF: Apart for being the best graphics solution for now, the AMD Radeon logo is simply gorgeous.

      Pr3fix, there's an alternative: Clover UEFI!

      All the best.
    1. tenj29's Avatar
      tenj29 -
      How can I get around the boot error and string of characters with an Asus MB (P8Z77-V)? As of now, I can only boot from my Unibeast USB with GraphicsEnabler=No.
    1. hazemhazoom's Avatar
      hazemhazoom -
      Quote Originally Posted by tonymacx86 View Post
      I've benchmarked and confirmed it's working with full acceleration. Chimera doesn't have 7xxx GraphicsEnabler code- that's why you see the "7xxx" while using GraphicsEnabler=Yes. And the fact that there are no official Macs with 7xxx means that the drivers are injecting default values.
      why you don't add the support for 7xxx to chimera in an experimental version like enoch boot loader and clover which support all 7xxx graphics but some times you have to select the accelerator like: Aji

      I know clover is build in different way but enoch boot loader is branch of chameleon like chimera

      so please support the new graphics at least in experimental version
    1. tonymacx86's Avatar
      tonymacx86 -
      The reason we didn't add GraphicsEnabler injection to Chimera yet is because like the NVIDIA 6xx, the new 10.8.3 AMD drivers work natively, meaning we don't have to use any injection at all.

      As far as my own testing, the 7870 is working without any injection, DSDT editing, additional driver tweaks. As written in the original post.
    1. olligames's Avatar
      olligames -
      I can Run my Gigabyte 7870 OC on second PCI 16x slot on the first slot is my old HD 6670 without any Display connection. But i canīt put this card out and boot just the 7870.
      Sorry for my bad English!!
    1. Prosaca's Avatar
      Prosaca -
      Quote Originally Posted by Faster4Run View Post
      Since I got the news that OSX 10.8.3 beta included the device drver for HD7970 earlier Dec 2012, I decided to buy ASUS HD7970-DC2-3GD5 on the X'mas special price. After that, I was put me on the seat
      of "just waited for public release", it was for alomst 3.5 months. But, I am highly dispappointed "still my HX480 board is require though HD7970 device driver was leased " -- because of hard to support HD7970 for the primary dsiplay adapter on the hacintosh 10.8.3 level among related middlewares.

      So, should I buy GTX650 board or HD6970 board in order to have the best cost performance on the primary graphic board that lead the second board ( HD7970) succesfully ?
      Pls advice me.
      There is no hard support, just not ready yet, be lucky that we have ways to inject...
      Where is the problem? A little white screen bug if not using UEFI? Not a big deal till there are other ways...
    1. Ritey's Avatar
      Ritey -
      We need a dedicated thread on how to install ATI 7xxx cards on 10.8.3 using Clover.